7.01.2013

Traveling served up family-style

The family strikes a pose at the John Lennon Wall in Prague. 
My neighbor’s annoying dog has been barking for 45 minutes straight, and it will only continue as the day does. This barking annoyance has happened daily for the past three and a half years (and Jeremy and I have contemplated buying a super soaker numerous times). Last week, however, I learned the only thing to drown him out is a house full of Haydens.

Last Sunday my mom and sisters, along with their immediate families, flew from St. Louis to Germany to experience the lifestyle Jeremy and I have swooned over for the past four years.

It was a week of bonding, beer and Boggle. And like her last visit to Europe, my mom, Linda, stepped up to the blog mic to share her experiences, which I will relay below, despite the fact she calls me a hippie. (smile).

Dancing around the May Pole.
I never thought of my own mortality until the death of my mom two years ago. I don’t have a bucket list, and I prefer to say “life experiences” anyway.

What I did want was for two sisters to experience the life of their hippie vagabond younger sister. As I watched this unfold, flashbacks of their childhood filled my mind.

The minute the ‘seesters’ (as they call each other) were reunited they were hugging and squealing – my mind drifted back to three little girls squealing (and fighting) over toys, then clothes, then cars.

Prost from the Hofbrauhaus. 
Arriving at the Buddemeier-Hayden residence, we found bedrooms earmarked with a picture of the occupant, fresh linens and pillows donned with chocolate. My mind immediately flashed to messy bedrooms of yesteryear strewn with toys and clothes. 

Joel screams Munich City. 
Jet lag passed over the weary group as family sightseeing through Prague, rivalry during a bocce tournament and a competitive game of catch phrase – complete with warred heckling – took over the visit.

Hannah masters the Rodelbahn. 
Unique opportunities such as running in the Munich Color Run, riding the Rodelbahn, bathing in beer at a spa and touring a concentration camp effortlessly presented themselves.

Color run fun.
Family dinners became a free-for-all as everyone - fork in hand - reached across the table to sample everyone else’s food, without asking, of course.

Paige - 1, Pork Knuckle - 0
Sitting back and watching this weeklong family-packed vacation unfold was a heartwarming experience for me.

Owl face. 
I can’t say this was a dream come true because I believe dreams are planned. This trip was not planned – it was a gift from my mom, as unexpected as it were. She played an important part in this event; her spirit traveled with us in the sound of laughter as three generations reconnected. She showed herself when we found pennies on the ground.

Making new friends. 
I don’t think the younger kids (Paige, Hannah and Joel) will appreciate this trip until they are older, though I saw them soaking up the culture and food like the warm sun – which finally came out the last day of our visit.

Three ducks and a quack ride the U-bahn. 
And even though we all managed to cram numerous souvenirs in already jammed suitcases, the experience and exposure is what we will hold onto the most.


No comments:

Post a Comment