3.20.2010

Sprechen Sie Englisch?

At times our German gets the better of us. Jeremy and I embarrass ourselves on a daily basis by attempting to do everything we can using the little Deutsch we know. And many times the questions we raise in our German voice are often answered in English. I digress.

So our German isn’t the best, however (and I’m not bragging here) our English rocks! We can articulate ourselves many times over using said language. We can say the exact same thing 12 different ways; we can, in fact, talk and have real conversations. And what better way to show off our language skills then to teach young minds how to appropriately (and inappropriately) speak in our mother tongue.

Yep, you guessed it – we are teaching! Jeremy and I are responsible for the German youth, twice a week for 45 minutes. Jeremy takes the beginning of the week and I bring up the rear with a Friday class.

The first day, (Tuesday) we both ventured into the private school to introduce ourselves to the class and chat with our new “boss” about logistics. (Apparently the German government likes to usurp the common taxpayer with paperwork as much as its American counterpart …)

Upon entering, the class of 15 and 16 year-olds giggled uncontrollably. I think it was Jeremy’s boisterous reply of “hi!” to their “hallo.”

We introduced ourselves, explained our situation and what we would be doing over the next six weeks. We then began to converse with the students, asking them to introduce themselves and to name a hobby or place of birth, anything really. At times the kids got nervous and other kids coaxed them (in German) to speak and not embarrass the rest of the class. I must say, for kids so young, they have a strong desire to learn and be understood. It’s refreshing.

I showed up Friday (my first official day of teaching) expecting a lesson plan from the German teacher. Here’s where the communication breakdown comes in, as there was no lesson plan. I was the lesson plan. I walked in the classroom and greeted the 15 students. The teacher then walked out proclaiming she would “see me in 45 minutes."

What?!?!?!?!?!?!

Crickets chirped. I had been thrown to the wolves, alone, and the wolves were hungry. After a two second wave of panic, I began to teach.

Surprisingly, the day went off without a hitch. The few English words the children didn’t know I could pick up in German and explain.

We talked about music, movies, boys, friends, vacations and school subjects. They told me their favorite colors, talked about their siblings and what they planned on doing after high school. We discussed various conversation scenarios and exchanged pleasantries. The 45 minutes flew by and I was happy to be with my new gum chewing, braces wearing, bangs over the eyes, awkward teenage friends. This was my class.

Although I cannot predict what the next six weeks of class will be like, I’m sure our conversations will evolve from “I like the color pink,” to “The nobility of the first king of Bavaria was only holding Germany back from becoming a major power in the world. In my opinion the Social Democratic Party should have united against the aristocracy.”

… Or, um, something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment