2.21.2013

Behavior modification project X-46/13

This is what a real experiment looks like. You need at least one microscope, several test tubes, and three colored liquids. I think I only have 2 colored liquids.

We’ve all tried them, with varying degrees of success, but each year we swear, "This year is going to be different."

Some people call them resolutions, but as an amateur social scientist, I prefer to call them personal behavior modification projects. 

Taking a page from my friend Eileen Dunne’s playbook, rather than establishing resolutions, which can be broad, undefined and difficult to maintain throughout the year, I’ve decided to try mini-resolutions (ahem, modification projects) throughout the year, with the overall goal of living a more healthy, productive, full life.

Each month I’ll either focus on a “without” (removing something from my life that I enjoy but might not be the best for me), or a “with” (adding something healthy). And while I’ll continue to be conscious of the measures I’ve completed in subsequent months, the focus for that month will be … well, my focus.

I started off strong in January by removing resolutions from my life. So far so good.

This month I’m going without alcohol. I was doing great, except for an inadvertent slip-up this past weekend (in my defense, it was a tapas place and instead of wine, I ordered something called “coffee for men.” The menu didn’t make any mention that café cajillo was pretty much a shot of rum and a drop of coffee). 

I definitely wasn’t going to send it back, so i swallowed the now-tarnished mini-resolution with my pride (it was delicious).

Moving forward, here’s a breakdown of what I have for the rest of the year: 

Withouts: caffeine, meat, no TV/computer (at home), bäckerei
Withs: exercise (5 times/week), water (3 liters a day); making art (2-3 times/week)

I'll try to pair them with the months that make the most sense. For example, I’ll probably choose “not using the computer at home” when I don’t have any major trips to plan or anything that requires a lot of email coordination; or move the no caffeine to a warmer month.

Though it may seem silly, if you’ve ever lived in Germany, you know removing the bäckerei from your life for a month is no laughing matter.

You may have also noticed I’m a little short on ideas for the remaining 10 months in 2013, so I’m looking for a little help from our readers. (Molly hasn't started her modification project yet; it's been at least a month since she's brushed her hair but that's not a modification;).

So if you provide suggestions, I'll pick the best modification recommendations (and provide attribution, of course), and then assign them to specific months. If I receive enough good ideas, I might even replace some of my current picks ... so let the best ideas ... modify. 

1 comment:

  1. FIrst time reading you blog....and I have two ideas for you. One is an addition to your life and one a removal. Here goes. For one month, every day, tell yourself one thing that you love about yourself. Dig deep. Write them down so you can remember each and every beautiful thing about yourself on each and every day that has you thinking the opposite. The other, the subtraction "modification" is living, or rather, wearing, only 10 different items of clothes for the entire month The 10 items excludes items such as underwear, bras, and socks...but it includes everything else you wear, including jewelry and watches and shoes. Love all your other behavior experiment ideas. Can't wait to read how they go!

    ReplyDelete