5.10.2011

Life's a beach: Hiking the Kalalau Trail


When I first moved to Hawaii, I was told many legends of the islands. One being, if the island liked you, accepted you, it would grant you many pleasures and persuade you to stay – if she didn’t, you would spend all your days figuring out a way to leave her.

I was lucky enough to be accepted and nothing but goodness came my way. In three years I lived on Oahu, I feel I really grew up, found myself, discovered who I wanted to be and experienced life with fresh and open eyes. I lived on a boat, learned to surf, hiked the tallest mountains, swam the roughest waters, found my new bff and married him, strengthened my journalism career, learned my first stringed instrument, made lasting friendships and walked each day barefoot with a smile on my face.

The islands have always been good to us, and even though we left them two years ago, they welcomed us back with open arms. 

As Jeremy mentioned in the previous blog, we juggled our time on Oahu with friends, family and surf. Our four-day escape to the island of Kauai, however, we convened with only nature (and a few hippies) and paid our respects the islands that have treated us so well over time.

The video below will give you an insight into the beauty that exists on the famous Na Pali Coast as we hike the Kalalau Trail. 




2 comments:

  1. This is lovely - thank you. I too love both of these islands and hiked the coast with Taylor when he lived on Kauai - red dirt!! The dirt stained my white socks forever and for that I am grateful because when I see the red, it reminds me of hiking the Pali. Happy to hear the islands welcomed you back, I look forward to going back and being welcomed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting article and images but i like your movie clip most thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete