1.26.2010

Doin' it raw


Living in Germany has taken its toll … mainly on our girth.

It’s customary to drink a beer with every meal (yep! A nice lunchtime buzz!) not to mention beer is considerably cheaper than soda, juice, tea – even a glass of water. Said beer, mixed with rich, hearty soul food mashed up into your favorite Schnitzel with a side of Käsespätzle. (okay – that shit is good. Think German mac and cheese) topped with a Laugenbreze (a pretzel, of course) makes for a delicious full calorie plate of goodness. (bellyache at no extra charge).

As warm and fuzzy as we feel inside from consuming months of comfort food, it’s time for a change.

Jeremy and I decided that dieting really isn’t our thing, so we are settling for a temporary-to-long-term life change – in the raw. We are now consuming only (okay mostly) raw foods and getting along nicely with our backyard friends.

But raw doesn’t have to be boring. Tonight I whipped up an adventure of garden goods to create a raw stuffed mushroom.

Here’s my improvisational recipe if ya fancy:

Step one: chop up cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, yellow peppers and spinach (or veggies of choice) into tiny little bits – marinate in teriyaki sauce. (or sauce of choice)

Step two: finely chop one clove garlic, add to mixture – along with juice from a ½ lemon. (to cut the garlic a bit) and a few pinches of chives.

Step three: tear off the base of mushrooms and stuff with mix - top with avocado.

Step four: make the mmmmmmmmmmmm sound.

The possibilities of new recipes are endless and Jeremy and I are über excited to try random made-up creations. We are officially on our way to becoming granolier than thou.

6 comments:

  1. I think in need more processing of my food. I can't take the real stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep a photojournal of that. Last time I met a couple on the 'raw' food diet, they kept telling me how great they felt. Meanwhile they both looked like Auschwitz poster children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good! Especially the avocado, aka the bacon for vegetarians. I don't think I could ever stick with a diet that doesn't include bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did it for 21 days once and never felt better! Cashews are your friends too. Pureed with olive oil and garlic and salt, they make a wonderful raw cream sauce.

    ReplyDelete